Bob was the 1959 president of the Calgary Booster Club and 1965 Sportsman of the Year whose lifelong passion was his commitment to promote and develop grass roots sports.
In his estate Bob left a generous donation to the Calgary Parks Foundation and the Calgary Booster Club.
The Bob Freeze Sport Grants are awarded to individual athletes who are 16 years of age and under and to an organization that provides wide-reaching support to youth athletes.
U 16 athletes are awarded twice per year, organizations once.
The 2017 recipient of the $15,000 organization grant was “Dare to Care” a program considered by educators to be the most effective and comprehensive Bully Prevention program available in Canada. Dare to Care now delivers programs for sporting organizations to tackle bullying head on to help keep youth active in sports.
Requirements for Individual Application:
- Calgary resident, or training within the city of Calgary
- 16 years old or younger
- Demonstrated success in a sport, that has at least a provincial and national competition structure
- Financial need will be taken into consideration
Requirements for Organization Application:
- The Calgary Booster Club will accept applications from organizations who are providing an initiative that supports youth athletes on a far-reaching basis. Ideally, this initiative would be multi-sport.
- The organization must be based in Calgary
- The Calgary Booster Club will select up to three organizations to present to the Directors. One organization will be selected for the award.